Welcome to Evergreen's blog

Welcome to my blog. Here you will find posts about what I love most, horses, fiber, knitting, writing, spirit, peace, art.....

or visit my website at: www.evergreenspiritpress.com

Thursday, February 18, 2010

It was a short romance

What I had wasn’t working. Things were beginning to go wrong and I had the feeling the relationship was about to end, so I went looking. I’m not really into looking for things like this on line so I stuck with the local outlets. There I found Valentino. Valentino wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but he had potential. He was a bit flashy for my taste, but he had all the right equipment and his price was good. Sure, there were stains in his past, but could I really ask for perfection?
His competition was Moss. Moss wasn’t as flashy but was younger and had a more subtle sparkle. Moss didn’t have Valentino’s experience, even though Moss had good references. But Moss would take more resources to obtain.
I know everyone says to look for that magical connection. Don’t settle for second best. But, I thought we could work out our differences so, I settled and brought Valentino home.
Our first day went fine, getting to know each other. Valentino seemed to have most of the things I was looking for in this relationship. But, as time went on, warning lights began flashing.
By day two, I discovered Valentino didn’t appreciate northern Wisconsin winters. He was slow to get going in the morning. A few extra tries and he complied, but not without grumbling. I began to think maybe this relationship wasn’t right after all. I asked some friends and even consulted the experts. They thought Valentino probably needed some type of small support to get him going in the morning. They assured me it would all work out.
But, that voice inside me was worried. When Valentino refused to budge on morning three, I’d had enough. I needed Valentino to be reliable, strong and stable. Flashy only gets you so far. What I wanted was substance. If Valentino didn’t like northern Wisconsin winters, what else was he hiding? Would he get too hot in the summer? And where did he get those stains from?
A relationship like this one is too important to leave to chance. If I let these signals slide, who knows what kind of behavior Valentino would begin to display. A decision had to be made.
Some may think I’m being too picky. But I’m not looking for a one-night stand here. I’m looking for a lasting relationship. I don’t need fancy bells and whistles, but I do need trust. I don’t want to be stranded on the road when my partner decides the going gets too tough.
I had to let Valentino go. I took him back where I found him and took another look at Moss. I liked what I saw. Moss was clean, new and fresh. I liked how Moss smelled and sparkled in the sun. Sure, Moss would take more resources, but this would be a lasting relationship. I wouldn’t have to deal with someone else’s past mistakes. I dug deep and found what was needed to bring Moss home with me.
It was a good decision. Moss doesn’t mind cold mornings. Moss does whatever I ask without complaint. And Moss has some fun friends. I can call on them whenever I need help. When I go places with Moss, people tell me how nice Moss is, how pretty she is.
Yes, Moss is a she and that’s fine with me. Actually, I like her feminine energy. She’s not effusive or pushy. She has classic style with a hint of fresh color. And even though Moss has some flashy new technology (like OnStar), she also has some old-fashioned character that I like.
Moss has manual windows and door locks. I don’t have to turn on her engine just to roll down the window. She has heavy duty, all-weather floor mats, with raised edges that keep the snow and water from staining Moss’s pretty interior.
I’m looking forward to many years of satisfaction with Moss, my new car.
As for Valentino, maybe there’s someone else out there who wants a flashy red car and has a warm garage to put him in. They say there’s someone for everyone, he just wasn’t for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment