Welcome to Evergreen's blog

Welcome to my blog. Here you will find posts about what I love most, horses, fiber, knitting, writing, spirit, peace, art.....

or visit my website at: www.evergreenspiritpress.com

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Art and peace

Today I was interviewed by a newspaper reporter for a story about the art exhibit I am hosting called Creating Peace. I found myself needing to be articulate about a subject that can be very hard to articulate.
And I discovered that this is part of the reason for doing this exhibit. Because each of us had our own idea of what peace is, or what brings us to peace, and sometimes it is not easy to put that feeling into words.
Art, by its very diverse nature, has the ability to speak a universal language. Seeing a painting, or feeling a fiber art piece, listening to music, can explain what the human language has many words for, and yet, cannot express. This exhibit will bring people together to experience, not just talk about, the feeling of peace, the taste, smell, sound and touch of peace.
Black Elk, a famous native elder, describes the First Peace as that which is found within the self; the Second Peace as that which is between individuals; and the Third Peace as that between nations. In our world, we often look to the Third Peace first.
"If we could only have peace between our countries, I could find peace within myself."
We do not realize that this thinking is backwards. If we cannot find peace within the self, we cannot find peace between nations.
The concept of the tipping point is a useful tool here. The founders of the World Foundation for the Discipline of Peace have stated that the tipping point for peace in our world is 32 million people. If we can get 32 million people to participate in First Peace Circles and find their way to inner peace, we can have peace in the world.
This art exhibit is about opening dialogue and starting a process of finding peace within the self. Many people in this world feel helpless, as if we are controlled outside forces.
"What can I do to bring world peace? I'm just one person."
This is what we all can do. World peace starts with each of us.
For me, the process of creating art, in many forms, is a peaceful one. It brings me to my center, and leads to stillness and my connection to the divine, the gateway to First Peace.
What brings peace to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment