Welcome to Evergreen's blog

Welcome to my blog. Here you will find posts about what I love most, horses, fiber, knitting, writing, spirit, peace, art.....

or visit my website at: www.evergreenspiritpress.com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A new twist

Okay, I admit it, I caved in.
I swore I was not going to read any of the Twilight series books. I had enough of vampire stories in my teens. Remember Dark Shadows, the vampire soap opera? I was addicted.
After a while all the vampire hype started getting old. It was always the same, vampire wars, big teeth and lots of blood, so I quit.
I've always wondered about the vampire legends. If vampires are so good at attacking people and biting them, why aren't we all vampires? The garlic part I could understand. I stay away from people who've eaten too much garlic myself, and no, I'm not a vampire. The crosses work too. After all, who wants to spend time with a certified evangelist, boring.
However, I was in the library looking for a new book to listen to in my car. I've just about gone through their whole selection already, so something new was hard to find. I noticed the first Twilight book was on CD. I needed something, so I caved in.
Why not give it a try. I checked out the website of the author and she notes that she loves to put standard characters into different situations, so I thought maybe this would be different, a new twist on an old legend.
So far, I was right. And I have to admit that she writes quite well.
In case you aren't familiar, here's a synopsis so far:
Young girl moves to new town, meets irresistable boy who has some quirks. His skin is pale, his eyes turn different colors, he's moody, he's aloof, he drives too fast and seems to materialize out of nowhere. Oh yeah, and he never eats. Lots of clues there. But the twist is, he's not a people biting vampire (bites animals instead) and he can be out in the daytime. The author gets by that one by having the character deny the daytime thing as 'merely lore.' With all of these clues, our heroine falls for the mysterious one anyway. Love at first sight (bite?).
So far, it seems the story is less about the vampire boyfriend than it is about a young girl moving to a new town and trying to fit in. Outcast meets outcast.
Funny thing, there is a scene where he takes her to an Italian restaurant. She orders ravioli. As far as I know, most Italian restaurants feature garlic prominently, yet, there was not mention of it, hmmm.
I'll keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment