Welcome to Evergreen's blog

Welcome to my blog. Here you will find posts about what I love most, horses, fiber, knitting, writing, spirit, peace, art.....

or visit my website at: www.evergreenspiritpress.com

Monday, May 10, 2010

Help! My belt broke!

I've had my sister's drum carder for a while now. I was carding a fleece that I had cleaned and spinning it, big fun. However, the belt on the drum carder broke, which stopped my adventure. It's been another adventure trying to replace the belt.
This weekend I took the belt and the carder to a local yarn and weaving shop. The proprietor and I search the internet trying to find a belt, to no avail. I got a few phone numbers off the websites and planned to call them.
Meanwhile I decided to stop by the local hardware store. Maybe they would have a different belt that would work. No luck. The guy at the hardware store recommended the NAPA store down the street.
At the NAPA store, the guy behind the counter was trying to help me solve the problem when another guy came in. He looked at the belt and they began to brain storm, as guys in a parts store love to do. What they came up with was to use electrical shrink wrap to hold the broken part in place. Sounded good, so I bought some.
At home, I asked my husband if he had ever used the electrical shrink wrap.
"No, but let's check it out." he says. Another adventure began.
He thought it would be a good idea to heat up the ends and try to meld them first. Out came the propane torch. It didn't work. Deciding the propane torch was too hot, out came the heat gun (industrial model). It didn't work either. So we went back to the shrink wrap tape, which seemed to work.
I put the belt back on the carder and it lasted for about 15 minutes before the shrink wrap broke.
Does anyone out there know where to get a 41" belt for a drum carder?
I've discovered I can still use the carder if I work the second drum manually, but it takes two hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment