Welcome to Evergreen's blog

Welcome to my blog. Here you will find posts about what I love most, horses, fiber, knitting, writing, spirit, peace, art.....

or visit my website at: www.evergreenspiritpress.com

Monday, March 8, 2010

A new topic

Looks like it's time to start talking about horses. Hi Ruella, nice of you to be here.
We've been experiencing some amazing warm weather lately. In the upper 40s and not even freezing at night. Very unusual for this time of year. So, my horse's winter pasture has become a lunar landscape.
The snow is melting off the top, leaving behind the brown piles left over through the winter. And underneath them is more snow, so the brown piles stick up. Rivulets of water run between them, creating small crater lakes.
The horses are sticking to the paths because the rest is ice. Freeze and thaw is the motto around here.
Not being one to believe very highly in feeders, I like to put the horse's hay on the ground. It seems a more natural position for them to eat in. So, now I try to find patches of clean snow to put the hay on and I'm having to pull the sled of hay farther and farther out each night. I guess I'll get my exercise.
Tonight Reina followed me from one spot to the next, snitching hay bites from the sled. We've come to an agreement. She can do this as long as her ears are up.
We haven't had any snow or rain, so it's amazing how dry the roads are. A nice comparison to mud season when you get stuck more often than in winter.
Even my dog, Lisha, who is normally the fastest thing on four feet, isn't running out there. She is stepping carefully on the ice.
Can I wish for spring yet? Probably not in northern Wisconsin. Perhaps this is our January thaw we never got!

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your posts, Evergreen. I put my hay on the ground, too, for the same reason. Finally the weather is warming here in central OK. 60 degrees is possible for tomorrow, with no freezing at night for several days. We're dealing with mud now, and the wild grasses that precede Bermuda are the tastiest 1/8" bites!

    ReplyDelete