Welcome to Evergreen's blog

Welcome to my blog. Here you will find posts about what I love most, horses, fiber, knitting, writing, spirit, peace, art.....

or visit my website at: www.evergreenspiritpress.com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Opening the doorway

This past weekend I pulled my Turtle (small camper) down to the Horse First Farm in Brooklyn WI for the Holistic Horse Fair. I had reserved a booth space for my books and to do some storytelling about First Peace.
The horse fair was a very nice one. I've been to larger horse fairs, like the ones in Madison and Minneapolis, but this one was different. At the larger horse fairs, there are many more people, thousands of people in fact. However, as a vendor, I sat and watched them walk by like zombies, heads bowed, feet shuffling, no smiles. It was actually quite depressing.
At the Holistic Horse Fair it was the opposite. People came and walked around looking at things, talking with people, and smiling.
Could it be that when you claim a holistic, and more natural approach to your relationship with your horse, it changes your whole outlook on life? I think so.
The fair closed Sunday at 5 p.m. and the vendors all packed up and left. I was staying on the property in my camper until the next day. As I walked around, the silence had a lonely quality to it. As I stopped and said hello to the horses, and opened to the beauty of the fall colors and the smell of the earth, that loneliness faded away.
It is the transition from two days of busy and interaction with other humans, to an evening of solitude and silent community with the land and the horses. A lovely experience.
"True presence is the doorway to the great mystery."
I'm glad I opened that doorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment